Thursday, February 12, 2015

He's just a pesky cub reporter


This morning I learnt that one of my former bosses has breast cancer.

She was one of my first bosses when I started out in journalism. In fact, RB is the best boss I have had in my career. She is someone I admire a lot professionally. She has also been a superior who was honest and never played politics with me – something that I cannot say for some of the other bosses I have had.

I was just starting out in journalism and there were times when I didn’t know how to go about a subject. She often guided me then. I was in awe. I always tried hard not to give her a reason to chide me. I was successful sometimes, sometimes I was not. But I enjoyed working with her. I admired how she would work hard with her team and also be a friend to them.

It was difficult to believe she has breast cancer. But I can say from what I know of her, she’s going to rid herself of it asap.
Treat it like one of those pesky cub reporters RB, the one that thinks he’s going to be the next executive editor! Put him in his place! Tell him you don’t know who you’re dealing with. He’ll behave like he’s going to teach you a thing or two, but you know better. He’ll want to make you do things his way, but show him you’ll only do what you want to.

Don’t think much of him. But take the chance to often laugh at him.

Don’t listen to him. But talk to yourself.

Most of all, keep this in mind, that he’s picked up a formidable opponent.

No comments: